• Home
  • Just Life
  • Product Reviews
  • Entertainment Reviews
  • Contact

Sunday, February 22, 2009

It's the Destination Not the Journey


We just got back from a long weekend in Tahoe.  As always, we had a great time. I love being up there.  I love the mountain air, the blue skies, warming up by the fireplace, watching my kids ski and sled, enjoying the company of good friends/family but the one thing that I hate is the drive.   Whether coming or going, the mere thought of "the drive" can get my blood pressure rising.

I like to think of myself as pretty laid back and easy going.  I'm undaunted by the fact that I have to pack for 6 people,  plan meals, and pick up ski rentals before we even start our journey. When I'm in Tahoe, I'm able to get four kids ready to hit the slopes (a huge task) and pack a backpack full of lunches before 8:00 a.m. and do it without breaking a sweat.  But when it comes to "the drive" and the variables that can affect the length of our journey, my nerves get a bit rattled.   It is a subject that I examine (and I know many others do too) from every angle.   I ask myself (and my eye-rolling husband) a multitude of questions such as,  "When do you think the best time to leave will be?", "If we leave at X'oclock, how will the traffic in Pleasanton be?", "How congested will it be when we hit Roseville?", "Will you be able to stay awake on the drive?" (a scary question to ask, but one that needs to be answered given my husband is up at 5 a.m. each morning) and "What is the latest hour by hour Accuweather.com forecast?" Every time we go to Tahoe, we attempt to answer these seemingly elusive questions.  In the end, we make our best, educated guess (usually a 6:30 p.m. departure to avoid the Silicon Valley rush hour) and head for the hills.  

Once we arrive, we either pat ourselves on the back for our expert planning (while sipping a nice red wine) or bemoan the fact that there was an accident or the rain turned to snow earlier than predicted (in this case it's hard liquor we turn to to calm the nerves).  For a day I am able to relax and enjoy myself and forget that I have to do this all again but in reverse.  But this lasts only  a day because try as I might I start to worry about how many hours our drive home will last.  I try to seem calm about it, like this really isn't weighing heavy on my mind, but truth be told it is.  

It is a topic that works its way into my conversations.  I try to be cool about it, to keep my laid-back facade by calmly and nonchalantly asking questions as I'm enjoying my Tahoe experience.   I'll work in a "So, when are you heading out on Sunday?" as I sit next to a fellow traveler on a chair lift or a  "Have you heard the latest forecast, sounds like snow is on the way,"  as I toast almonds for the evening bean dish with my friends.  I think I ask these questions because I want to validate my strategy and/or see if I am getting out of dodge before my fellow travelers (must avoid traffic).

I realize that all this focus on the to and fro parts of my trip is impacting the moments spent in between.  I still have a wonderful time but it is there in the back of my mind, nagging at me.  So tonight I vow, that my next trip will be one where I enjoy the destination and  worry less about the journey.  And I want you, my fellow Tahoe travelers, to join me in my quest (just don't be on the road at 6:30 p.m.).  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here. We request word verification to prevent the spammers out there. Thanks a lot!