• Home
  • Just Life
  • Product Reviews
  • Entertainment Reviews
  • Contact

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Less is More


I never thought my family would take separate vacations but that is exactly what we are going to do this summer. In just a few days I will be traveling to Germany with my two oldest children. We will meet up with my parents and travel with them to their childhood towns. My husband will be staying behind with our twin boys and will take them on a mini-vacation to Safari West and Tahoe.

At first, I felt guilty even contemplating going to Europe with only half of my family but the more I thought about it the more logical it became. Did I really want to drag 4 kids around castles, medieval towns and European cities? Did I really want to increase the whining quotient? I'm no fool, I'm sure my two older kids will do their share of complaining on this trip but to add two more to the equation could really put a damper on a European vacation. Plus the logistics of traveling with 6 can be a real challenge. We would need a bigger car, additional hotel rooms and of course more $$.

I know my two older children will get much more out of a trip like this. They are more patient, more interested and all around are better travelers. They have both expressed an interest in learning about our family's heritage and were eager to join their grandparents on this adventure. My twin boys (who are 8) were not at all interested in going. When we started throwing around the idea of going to Germany their response was "Do we have to go?" I guess I should take this as tell tale sign that they are not ready for a boat trip down the Rhein.

So after weighing the pros and cons, we decided that only 3 of us would go. My husband is perfectly happy to stay behind and take care of the boys. They will go on their own little adventures camping at a wild animal park--Safari West and hanging out in Tahoe with my aunt and uncle. This is definitely more up my little boys' alley. I'm sure they will have a great time.

I guess, sometimes less is more. My husband and I will each get to spend quality time with our kids and create special memories. In the end, we will all have a better time. I know one day, the little boys will get their turn to go on a fabulous vacation and when they do it will be just as wunderbar!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here. We request word verification to prevent the spammers out there. Thanks a lot!