• Home
  • Just Life
  • Product Reviews
  • Entertainment Reviews
  • Contact

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

ICE App for iPhone

Are you familiar with the ICE concept? I wasn't until last week.  

I learned that ICE stands for In Case of Emergency and was conceived in the mid-2000s by a British  paramedic Bob Brotchie.  The program encourages people to enter emergency contacts in their cell phones contacts lists under the name ICE.  

The concept has now crossed over to iPhone Apps.  LegalZoom,  recently partnered with Donate Life America to launch a new, FREE iPhone app—the ICE App.  

The ICE App provides first responders -- paramedics, firefighters, police officers, emergency room personnel, doctors and nurses -- with access to critical information that can potentially save a life in the event of an emergency. 

Information stored on the iPhone through ICE App includes the patient's name, photograph, date of birth, height and weight; emergency contact names and numbers; medical conditions, blood type, food allergies, medication allergies, and current medications; plus the patient's organ donation preference.

It is recommended that you place the ICE App icon in the upper right hand corner on the first page of your iPhone.

While I think this is a terrific idea, the issue with this app (and others like it) is that should your phone be locked, emergency personnel will not have access to this critical information.  Hopefully, the developers will find a way to bypass the lock function.

In general this app was created as part of a greater movement to encourage people to be prepared for the unthinkable.  Overall, I think the idea of having emergency information in your cell phone (and wallet)  is a smart one.  It might save your life.

We are curious to know if you have ever heard of the ICE concept.  Leave us a comment, letting us know and we will give one reader an ICE app t-shirt.  Contest ends, February 2nd.

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the ICE app, but I hate the fact that you have to pay. I know it's only 99 cents, but it's the principle, not the money. I have heard a good suggestion that I use instead -list your emergency contact in your conacts - under EMERGENCY. I know this still does not address the issue of your phone being locked, but it's free and easy. I have 3 different names and numbers listed under EMERGENCY and I feel like that has me covered as well as any app that I have to pay for. Just my two cents....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. This particular ICE app is free. I think the idea is great but the issues is the locked phone. Check it out using the link above.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comment here. We request word verification to prevent the spammers out there. Thanks a lot!