• Home
  • Just Life
  • Product Reviews
  • Entertainment Reviews
  • Contact

Friday, January 21, 2011

My Circo Days are Numbered--My Daughter Wants to Wear Brand Name Clothing

My daughter has never really been into her clothes.  There have been phases--like when she would only wear skirts or when she would only sport yoga style pants and my favorite phase--when she would only wear pink (I also have 3 sons, so I loved this girly girl stage) but she never noticed whether or not her clothes matched, if they were hand-me-downs or what the label sewn inside her collar said.  Sadly those days are coming to an end.....

This week, she asked me if it we could go to Abercrombie & Fitch or Aeropostale to shop for some new tops.  I was surprised she even knew of these stores because we rarely go to any mall outside of our local shopping center where the anchor store is a Target.  Despite the fact that I can't stand Abercrombie & Fitch (the cologne is nauseating and their stuff is pricey), I said "yes."  Mainly because I love the fact that I now have a shopping partner--it's a mother's dream.  There was a day when I couldn't drag her to the store unless it was to pick out a toy.

I guess I should have known that the day of wearing particular styles of clothing and brands was coming.  The writing has been on the wall.  No longer can I buy things for her on my own.  She definitely has ideas on what she will and won't wear.  V-necks, turtlenecks, plain t-shirts, dresses are all on the Do Not Purchase list.   Tops with a touch of bling (not too much, thank goodness), t-shirts that are screen printed with various characters (although which ones are acceptable and which ones are not I still can't figure out) skinny jeans and jeggings (jeans/leggings) are all on the I Want More list.  And now it seems that Circo is out and Aeropostale is in.

I asked her how did she know of these stores and she replied that all her friends shop there.  Yes, her peers are now influencing her fashion choices.  As much as I want her to be her own person and wear what she wants because SHE likes it, I understand how she feels.  I remember when I had to have a pair of Jordache jeans and how I begged my mom for an Izod shirt and it wasn't because I loved alligators and horses.

3 comments:

  1. I remember a few years back visiting with family on the East Coast and my teen nieces and nephews were wearing Hollister t-shirts. I said, "you know that's a town near us ... there are lots of cows there." I'm SO not the cool auntie!

    I have the opposite problem with my teen boy ... his clothes can't have ANY logos on them. So hard to find, but easier on the budget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faze: transitive verb 1) to fluster, disconcert or disturb somebody. “Bad news doesn’t seem to faze her.”, for example.

    Phase: noun 1) stage of development a clearly distinguishable period or stage in a process, in the development of something, or in a sequence of events, 2) pattern of behavior a period of time when a situation or particular pattern of behavior persists and is often annoying or worrying; 3) part or aspect, “ We needed to restructure all phases of our business.” for example; 4) recurring shape of the moon; 5) part of repeating cycle; 6) state of matter; 7) variation in animal form; 8) stage in life cycle.

    And of course,
    Phaser: common directed-energy weapon first seen in the original Star Trek and later seen or referenced in almost all subsequent films and TV spin-offs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Spock-thanks for the faze/phaser catch. :) I think my mind sometimes fails me and the obvious is not so obvious.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comment here. We request word verification to prevent the spammers out there. Thanks a lot!